Tuesday, April 21, 2015

When Ghosts Become Mermaids

And sometimes I have really absurd dreams, which in turn become poems. Forgive me.
___________________________________________________________________________


In this king of nightmares, I married
an old sweetheart who knew
the science of laughter
but not the magic act of lust,
a stocking gone one minute, the skirt
vanishing the next, how to make
all those blushes turn into good old blood
broiling in the heat of touch


And so I, just as clumsy,  
on this day of holy matrimony,
wore a turtleneck beneath a fabbed up
white jumper
an exercise in the poor Victorian gothic
and every time I passed him in the prep
before the ceremony,
anxiety tore across his face
just as my hands released an ocean
all on their own


all of this was swept under by dos “I dos”


His mood changed from fretting to elation,
and he led me by the hand to a pond behind the church
here was our consummation bed,
he said, “do not be afraid”
pulling me down beneath the algaic green surface
Great, a marriage unwanted seems to have been giving
it’s rightful omens
murder is never so poignant as it is at the first
of new beginnings


but soon, I found he was shoving pills into my mouth
upon submersion,
and I swallowed,
and breathed


“here, we must have our children.
I did not tell you lest you ran”
He implored, with a flick of his tail
and so I finally had the upskirt magician
I always wanted,
but inseminated, now I could not
leave, or the air would kill the unborn
and so this nightmare had me chained
to my worst fear
trapped, sedated by the light hitting the gentle
windblown current,
and full of babies
I cannot even fathom as a part of the pronoun
I


I am the mermaid’s slave
And modern medicine
is the surest way to tie the knot
on aquatic abduction

No comments:

Post a Comment